Tuesday, February 15, 2011

School system= BIG FAT FAIL

KGHS
To those of you that do not know…. This is one thing you should care about...
My son was brutally attacked at school on Feb 4th, 2011 in the school cafeteria. Seven hours before this attack, he went to the vice principal and told them he was going to be jumped. 

What did the school do to protect him?? NOTHING!!! 

The three boys jumped my son as soon as he stood up to leave during lunch period and sucker punched him in the side of the jaw. One of these boys was wearing a class ring. After he hit the ground, one boy continued to beat on him as if he was a punching bag. A Good Samaritan jumped in and got this big boy off my son and was then attacked by the boy and two others. While the two other boys continued to beat on the Good Samaritan, the first boy (with the ring) went back to beating on my son. 

They broke his jaw in three places…requiring him to go to the ER and be transferred to another hospital  an hour and a half away to have another doctor look at him. He then had to go through a four hour surgery to fix his face. They sent him home with his jaw wired shut and unable to eat or drink anything unless it was through a straw.
The school not only failed to protect my son from this attack, but  they also kicked him out of school for 10 days along with the only person who came to help him.
All this because of the county's zero tolerance policy. 

We live in a place where they expect our children to walk away... ok I understand this, but when there are three boys beating you down, you can no longer walk away. There is no choice but to stand and fight as best you can.  
In the days after the fight, we have been able to get both my son and his defender reinstated into the school with this 10 day suspension pulled off their records; a record they should have never had in the first place.
You send your children to school to learn and expect them to feel safe while they are there… 

  • Was my son safe? 
  • Where was the school when all this was happening? 
  • If they were there to help him why did the fight last so long, over five minutes?
The boy that threw the first punch was kicked out of school for 10 days.  This was on a Friday and it took them until Wednesday of the following week to arrest this kid. He spent two days in juvenile correction facility and was arrainged to house arrest with an ankle bracelet. 

Do you know that this child with a felony charge on him and an ankle bracelet is allowed to return to school at the end of his ten days? No questions asked. He is allowed right back in to hurt someone else.
When the school was asked if it was common practice to have children in their school with ankle bracelets on and a felony charge over their head, they replied with "Yes, we have children here with ankle bracelets and some we know have them but not as to why they have them, or others we don’t know at all."
Don’t you feel this should be common practice to protect our children? 

The schools should know who these kids are and why they have ankle bracelets on and whether they are violent or have done a violent crime. Are my children safe? These are all questions that run through my mind when they stated this.
After my son told the school he was going to be jumped they failed to protect him, but the children involved were given a 10 day vacation and allowed to return to school while my son is at home recovering and worrying about his future. They have threatened my child’s life and the lives of his friends, and the school system has done nothing.    

What do we have to do to ensure the safety of our children? When they are attacked who will be there to protect them? If your child is beaten for five minutes before it's broken up, what would have happened if the attacker had a knife or another type of weapon? 

Our county's school system has failed us. The school system cannot protect our children if they allow violent felons to walk the halls of our school and to do as they please. They continue to terrorize whoever they please and the school refuses to do anything because "they are entitled to an education."


Aren't my children entitled to an education in a safe learning environment? Shouldn't my children be able to get an education without fear?

18 comments:

  1. I'm with you every step of the way, my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I came to your site via The Drama Mama and I am so shocked at this situation. It seems to me that the school are protecting the attackers and most definitely not the victims and zero tolerance is fair enough but each case has to be heard on it's own merits. Your poor child, what pain he must be in. Virtual hugs to you

    ReplyDelete
  3. You do what you are doing turn to the blogging community.. Get us the address for the principal, the school and the school superintendent. Then you go find my friend Adoption of Jane, because she was here last year. We began a letter writing, blogging and protesting campaign against her son's school. It resulted in over 300 letters, blogs, tweets and over 100 direct emails to the principal of his school as well as the local school board. It also resulted in them allowing her son to transfer to a much better school district , without having to pay for the move or admittance. Despite them telling her the week before they could not move him.Email me.. watch the power of a thousand blogging mom's and dad's at work

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am so sorry you are going through this. The Drama Mama sent me.

    I tweeted about it so it will get some more exposure.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am so sorry you and your son are going through this. It sickens me that "Zero Tolerance" is nothing but words.

    Take singedwingangel's advice. Even though bloggers and tweeters may not know each other in real life, we all band together to help others.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am speechless and my heart breaks for you. This is an insane system we live in. I hope for your son's sake you continue being his biggest advocate. I saw a RT of this on twitter. Your circle of support grows every minute.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is absolutely unexcusable that they let those other students return. I would be infuriated. Can you go to the local media? Hire a lawyer? This whole situation is very unnerving and extremely unjust.
    Keep strong and keep fighting.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Coming from Angel's blog. What she said. The blogging community once raised hell on behalf of a bullied child who was not "allowed" to change schools after being beaten. We bloggers had a lot to say. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  9. That is awful, is the school district you are in known for this? I can't believe they have children in their school with ankle bracelets and no knowledge as to what crime they have committed. Your son has a right to safe education. I'm sorry you are going through this.

    Found you via The Drama Mama..

    ReplyDelete
  10. I"m so sorry to hear this injustice. I'm not even surprised anymore though. Our system is so far beyond reasonable or acceptable, it needs to be totally trashed and started again. My story isn't as awful, but is about the school wanting to sue me for asking for change. . .
    http://imaginationsoup.net/2011/02/blogging-education-first-amendment-lawyer/
    Keep the faith!! Also, email me if you can -- I'm going to Mom Congress and I want to bring your story!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh my! I can't even imagine how horrible this must be. I really don't know what to say. Yes, your child deserves to be safe. I don't understand how breaking a jaw doesn't result in expulsion.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I am shocked and horrified. I am so sorry your son, your family is going through this. I wish I had answers, advice, some pull, but all I can give are my hopes that someone takes care of this situation immediately.

    ReplyDelete
  13. First, I hope your son is doing OK. I mean, as OK as he feasibly can be doing. Jaysus. Bullying makes me sick to my stomach, and I am seriously just open mouthed reading what happened to your son. My boys are small. Oldest just started kindy. I fear for their future in public school.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm so disgusted and outraged by the way your son's school handled this entire incident -- from the first report to the aftermath of the attack. Please know that lots of people are praying for his safety and the safety of all children who must fear for their lives in a place meant to be a haven.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I want to take this chance to tell everyone THANK YOU so much for your support. It mean the world to my self and my family. I will in time get all of you more details and keep you up on how he is doing and what all is going on. I wanted to make sure you all knew that we are here. Again THANK YOU

    ReplyDelete
  16. Holy god, this is going to be posted everywhere I can post it... the link is in the drink..

    ReplyDelete
  17. I am so sorry that your son had to go through this! I am so mad I can't even find the words!
    Big ((hugs)) to you and your boy!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh my gosh! That is just awful. What the hell is wrong with people?! I bet the school officials would be changing those rules rather quickly if it was THEIR kid that got beat up. Im so sorry your son had to go through this.

    ReplyDelete